Monday, 31 December 2012

My Reading Year in Review


I came across this end of year reading survey on someone's blog and decided to steal some of the questions for myself. 2012 has not been a good year for me as far as reading goes as I haven't done nearly as much as I'd normally do because I've been focused on writing instead. My hope for 2013 is that I can read a book (or more) a week, and finally start putting a dent in my TBR list.

1. Best Books You Read In 2012?

American Scoundrel by Thomas Keneally, Into the Forest by Jean Hegland, The Buccaneeers by Edith Wharton.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier was surprising because I loved it even more the second time around.

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

Becoming Jane Eyre by Sheila Kohler. I can't understand why this book has such a low ranking on Goodreads.

5. Best series you discovered wrote in 2012?

Why Eternal Hunger of course!

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?

Monica McInerney - a fellow Aussie I only recently read for the first time.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Zazen by Vanessa Vselka. I'm still working my way through this one and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

8. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:

None. There are too many other books that I haven't read yet to double back.

9. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?

Sole Possession by Bryn Donavon. The big, creepy haunted house is right up my alley.

10. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?

Into the Forest by Jean Hegland. This haunting story will stay with me for a long time.
  That's it for my blog for 2012. May the new year bring much happiness and good fortune to everyone, and heaps of great new books to read!

 
"Firework"
Do you ever feel like a plastic bag
Drifting through the wind wanting to start again?
Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin
Like a house of cards one blow from caving in?

Do you ever feel already buried deep six feet under?
Scream but no one seems to hear a thing
Do you know that there's still a chance for you
'Cause there's a spark in you?

You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine
Just own the night like the 4th of July

'Cause, baby, you're a firework
Come on, show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y

Baby, you're a firework
Come on, let your colours burst
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh"
You're gonna leave 'em all in awe, awe, awe

You don't have to feel like a wasted space
You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew what the future holds
After a hurricane comes a rainbow

Maybe you reason why all the doors are closed
So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road
Like a lightning bolt, your heart will glow
And when it's time you'll know

You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine
Just own the night like the 4th of July

'Cause, baby, you're a firework
Come on, show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y

Baby, you're a firework
Come on, let your colours burst
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh"
You're gonna leave 'em all in awe, awe, awe

Boom, boom, boom
Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon
It's always been inside of you, you, you
And now it's time to let it through-ough-ough

'Cause, baby, you're a firework
Come on, show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh"
As you shoot across the sky-y-y

Baby, you're a firework
Come on, let your colours burst
Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh"
You're gonna leave 'em all in awe, awe, awe

Boom, boom, boom
Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon
Boom, boom, boom
Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon

 


No comments:

Post a Comment