Monday, 3 June 2013

What Women Don't Want......Coming Soon




The second draft of my novella, What Women Don't Want, is well under way and I hope to have it completed before too much longer. This book has been a very long time in the making and it marks a change in direction for me. For the first time I'll be publishing something that contains no romantic elements. In fact there's only one male character in the book, and he is a very minor character at that.

The best way of describing this book is as feminist fiction. It doesn't have a conventional storyline because it basically consists of six women in a market research focus group sitting around talking. It centres around the way women are represented in the media, and it pushes a definite feminist agenda which I'm happy to own up to. I'm not sure if there's much of a market for this kind of book, but there's only one way to find out.

The cover, which I love, may seem a bit misleading because it looks very much like a chick-lit type of book . There is a reason for this, but you'll have to read the book to find out! The designer of this cover called it 'Summer Day Girl' and this actually played a big role in the direction the story took because it started out as a conventional romance but then took on a life of its own. I'm a big believer in the importance of great covers and there are a few that I have my eye on at the moment. Browsing through available covers gives me so much inspiration and I think it's an important part of the creative process that shouldn't be left until last.

No comments:

Post a Comment