Friday, 31 January 2014

My Strange Addiction


 

Wow, here it is February already and I haven’t even welcomed in the new year in my blog! One of the side-effects of living in the middle of nowhere is that when you finally get back to civilisation for the holidays they tend to be very action-packed. This year has been no exception. Now the Australia Day weekend is over and life is settling back into its familiar routine. We’re adapting again to the very slow pace of life in the bush. At the moment this mostly involves lying on the lounge under the air-conditioning as the Riverina endures another week of 40+ degrees.

The good news is I’m finally ready to put my head down and get stuck back into some serious writing on my badly neglected WIP. The bad news is that I have a new addiction which is interfering with my writing and which I can’t help indulging in even when I’m at work. This addiction is time-consuming and frustrating but when I finally get that hit the exhilaration makes it all worthwhile. It’s somewhat akin to the shopping addiction that many suffer from, but my shopping takes place purely on Amazon and only involves the purchase of books.  People who know me will not be surprised to hear that I’m addicted to books, but my new obsession involves finding popular books and new releases for bargain prices. My most recent find is Margaret Atwood’s MaddAddam for just $1.29. Is that a bargain or what!
There are far worse things to be addicted to and I will eventually read all the books I download so I really am saving money. I know Amazon lists special deals but the bargains I've found aren't always included. There are probably countless websites which list bargains in popular literary fiction but the hunt is all part of the fun for me. I don’t want to deny myself this little indulgence, just as long as it doesn’t get too out of hand.
My writing goals for this year are fairly modest and involve completing my current WIP, doing at least two more subjects in my writing course and writing 4 times a week. I hope to start a new project and write a few short stories too.

 May 2104 be a wonderfully productive and exciting year for all writers out there as we face the tyranny of the blank page and keep coming back for more! We are a masochistic lot and only others writers can understand what compels us to keep going.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment