Thursday 10 May 2012

Another Fine Romance


I saw the film Once a few years ago, and it quickly went right to the top of my favourite romantic movies of all time list. This is definitely a 5-star effort for me. One of the things that made me like this movie so much is that it's very unconventional. The hero and heroine kiss only once and they do not end up together at the end. It's their shared love of music that brings them together and despite the fact that they are not involved romantically in the usual sense, it's one of the most romantic films I've ever seen. It's not all about their relationship, but something bigger than themselves (the music), which made it interesting and different. The ending was so good because I believed it showed what true love is all about. Why can't they make more films like this?

The reason I thought of this movie today was because I'm writing a scene in my WIP and the song Falling Slowly came into my head. I use music a lot when I'm writing, and this song encapsulates just what I'm trying to achieve in this particular scene.

My other top ranking romantic films, in no particular order are:

Groundhog Day
When Harry Met Sally
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
My Best Friend's Wedding
Romancing the Stone
The Way We Were
Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Brannagh & Emma Thompson version)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Ever After
Ladyhawke
The Princess Bride
Yentl (yes, I know it's incredibly uncool, but I loved this movie!)
Moulin Rouge
PS I Love You

No comments:

Post a Comment